15 July 2008

plein air sickness



I've spent the past week pacing around my yard looking for something to paint. There is plenty of source material, but I'm terrified. I'm terrified of all the foliage, the complicated images, infinite or infinitesimal views, and the changing light. How do you do it? How do you find an image and decide what portion of it, and what amount of detail, to use? I am truly stuck.

After a series of panic attacks, I finally jumped in, mainly so I would have a post in which to beg for guidance. This morning, with determination, I painted the hydrangea. I haven't dared to paint her up close in a still life, so I thought I should give her a chance in her natural environment. I zoomed in on a lower quadrant of the shrub to prevent myself from hyperventilating.

7 comments:

Dianne Mize said...

And what lovely greens you've achieved and the blues of the hydrangea sing. A old sage told me ions ago when I was having a panic attack similar to what you describe here, he said, "Just flat damn do it!"

You know, it doesn't matter WHAT you do, what matters is that you do. And you did--no go do it again, and again, and again.....

Dar Presto said...

Hi ya, Dianne. I'm working on it...just damn do it! He must have worked for Nike.

Susan Carlin said...

Hey, Dar- please explain the panic and worry and hyperventilation and angst you're having over painting. You seem quite up to any painting task, from what I can see. Is it painting out of doors? Have you fallen under the evil spell of someone who suggests that plein air painting is the only way to heaven, or something? The way I see it, I paint for the joy of it (and the financial rewards, of course) so unless it's exhilaration masquerading as a panic attack... will you try to explain? -Concerned in San Antonio

Barbara Pask said...

I've painted outside quite a few times and I also struggle on narrowing things down, it sure can be overwhelming. You're right to focus in on one thing, I need to learn to do that and treat it like a still life.

Dar Presto said...

Hi Susan. It's my first experience painting outdoors. I can't seem to screen the vast amount of visual information. Everything I look at seems unpaintable, either because I'm not seeing value differences that will help me model form, or because there is so much going on. I exaggerate, but I do feel a combination of paralysis and procrastination.

Hi Barbara. Your recent landscapes are lovely. Ya know, maybe that picture of you happy and pretty at your easel is the reason I ventured outside in the first place! I'll keep trying.

lisagloria said...

The terror will go away, I promise! LOL The only way to get over it is to go through it - just paint everything. I really like this painting. Keep up the good work! Lisa

Dar Presto said...

Hi Lisa! I appreciate the encouragement very much.