07 January 2009

holiday highlights

8x10 oil on canvas panel

I took another stab at it. I wanted to show that the sage ball is matte and the copper one is shinier. And I wanted very much to represent the two parts that stood out when I took off my glasses: a positively fluorescent orange window reflection on the copper ball, and a few bright dots on the gold niblet thing. (White highlights would be a cop out, and not authentic.) They don't radiate quite as much as I wanted, but I made progress. I think I can pack up the ornaments now.

5 comments:

Dianne Mize said...

Lovely, Dar. You really show beautifully the matte against shiny, plus those rich deep reds foil so nicely against the green. Hey, and you got a lovely cast shadow, too.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Nice soft brushwork on the edges, Dar! Way to go!

Dar Presto said...

Thanks ladies.
Dianne, I love shadows. I keep forgetting to do those exercises of painting shadows across a stack of books.
Diane, I've been making googly eyes over your wonderful plucky ducks. Since they are conveniently delivered to my Reader, I've been neglectful about visiting. I'll be sure to remedy that.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Dar, These last three paintings would all make wonderful Christmas cards for next year. I'm glad you are back posting again, I've missed you. You always amaze me.

Dar Presto said...

Barb, you're such a sweetie.
That's a good idea about cards.