17 April 2010

april deluge


8x6 oil on canvas panel

For this one, yellow was hard to paint, and harder to photograph. I had to sneak away to paint this, and couldn't really take pleasure in it. I am having a very busy April.

The kids and I made costumes for an anime convention, my son was confirmed at church, and I helped a student with a project. But the biggest issue this month is my father's health. He had neurosurgery to relieve pain from trigeminal neuralgia, and while the surgery seemed to be successful, he ended up having a stroke. Or something. It's not really clear. But he currently has difficulty speaking and eating. I want to be mad about it, but darn it, that man is so cheerful. I can understand his garbled speech enough to catch every joke he makes. He is such a clown, and I adore him. And my mom is a rock. She can handle anything. Mom must be the upright daffodil, and the one who looks like she needs a drink is me.

11 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

This is beautiful Dar. I am sorry you are going through this with your Dad. I have been through something similar and it is heartbreaking. Sounds like your Dad has a great attitude though, that will help so much. <3

Ann Reyes said...

Dar, your daffodils are lovely and quite expressive! I hope your dad recovers fully and that things settle down in your world. Sneak away and paint every chance you get!

Jala Pfaff said...

Wow. So sorry to hear about what happened. But it sounds like no one could be dealing with it better than he is!
I painted a daffodil last night...and then scraped it off. Blah. Yours are nice though.
Best of luck to your dad.

Dar Presto said...

Thanks, Barb. Yes, Dad sets a great example of appreciating the good in life.

Ann, thank you. I will follow your advice!

Thanks, Jala. This was my third attempt at the little rascals! Why are daffodils so difficult?

Marian Fortunati said...

So much to deal with, Dar... WOW...
Good thing you have your painting and good thing your family has you!!! (and you have them..)
I hope all goes well!

Anonymous said...

Dar- you've not only managed to produce a beautiful, sensitive painting, but clearly haven't lost your sense of humor and good cheer.
And speaking of Cheer, Cheers: pour yourself some fortification and as we all hope here, that your Dad and Mom, as his support, continue to make progress.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Oh Dar! You are such a sensible, good natured person (Yes, I can tell.) ...and you have so much on your plate! How you manage to make beautiful paintings on the side?? It's a wonderful thing. Hang in there!!

Dar Presto said...

Marian, thanks for the good thoughts.

Cheers, Bonnie! Thank you.

Diane, thanks. When I'm not able to paint, I still have time to enjoy your colorful, spirit-lifting blooms.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Beautiful how the background picks up the yellow Dar. This is a great little painting. What a shame for your dad but so glad he is the trooper he sounds like. Hope things gradually improve for him and for your mum.

Dar Presto said...

Hi Sheila. Thanks very much. I haven't taken the time to comment lately, but I've been keeping up with your fascinating work. I am always mesmerized!

Unknown said...

Your Affiliate Money Printing Machine is waiting -

Plus, making money with it is as simple as 1..2..3!

Follow the steps below to make money...

STEP 1. Choose affiliate products the system will push
STEP 2. Add some push button traffic (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the system explode your list and sell your affiliate products all for you!

Are you ready???

Click here to activate the system